How to Ripen Avocados in the Microwave – Avocados are sold hard and immature, so you need to wait a few days before they are soft and ready to use. If you need a ripe avocado before they are ready, you can use your micro to simulate the ripening process so they will be ready for immediate use. The California Avocado Commission does not recommend microwave-ripening avocado, so try to buy it 2-5 days before you will need them. The flavor of the avocado will be affected by microwaves instead of natural maturation.
How to Ripen Avocados in the Microwave
- Poke holes in the avocado with a fork.
- Place the avocado on a paper towel.
- Put the avocado and paper towel in the microwave.
- Set the microwave to medium heat.
- Cook the avocado in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Remove the avocado from the microwave and let it cool until it is comfortable to the touch.
- Squeeze the avocado in your hand to check for softness. The avocado should still be firm but you should be able to press for it when you press gently.
- Place avocado back in the microwave and cook for another 30 seconds until soft, if necessary.